10 minutes with... Matt Marshall
Updated: Nov 30, 2018
We're starting a new series of blog posts where we sit down with an IDC lecturer or student and find out a little bit more about them. To kick it off, we're beginning with the IDC Director, Matt Marshall!
1. How did you get into engineering?
I come from a long line of engineers and was brainwashed with lego from an early age
2. Explain to us in basic terms what your research is about
I look at what happens when two surfaces rub together, investigating how much friction occurs and how quickly they wear out. A lot of the time I look at this for aero-engines, where small amount of wear to components can lead to big changes in fuel costs (and more expensive holidays…).
3. If you didn't have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Probably try and figure out how to sleep again, i’m not sure i’d fancy 24/7 activity.
4. What job would you be terrible at?
According to my wife anything requiring patience!
5. What's the last book you've read?
Mr Gum and the Cherry Tree (with my 8 year old son, honestly… :) )
6. What could you give a 30-minute presentation on, with absolutely no preparation?
How to make good homemade ice cream
7. Where is the most interesting place you've been?
Thermal springs in the mountains above Queretaro in Mexico
8. What's the best concert you've attended?
Pulp in Sheffield in 2001
9. What do you have in your pockets right now?
Not a lot as they both have holes in….
10. Who would you like to swap places with for a day?
Whoever has the keys to Area 51, would interesting to have a wander around!
Thanks Matt! Keep an eye out for more 10 minutes with... soon!