10 minutes with... Nikos Dervilis
Updated: Nov 30, 2018
August's 10 minutes with.. interview is Nikos Dervilis, a lecturer in the Mechanical Engineering department and one of our IDC Supervisors. Rumour has it that he is on Kronos right now.
1. How did you get into engineering?
Oh, long story short; I failed as a theoretical physicist and money :) haha :) I am kidding. To be honest, my first degree is in theoretical physics, but for me, mechanical engineers apply maths and physics laws from a fundamental basis to more complex ones in order to create and build an everyday engineering reality. Mechanical engineers play a key role in the development of a new era of technology, technology which often nowadays has to operate in difficult and harsh environments and on a range of scales: from understanding the bio mechanisms of medical implants to large-scale projects like offshore wind farms and space stations. I hope Sheldon from The Big Bang Theory will forgive me.
2. Explain to us in basic terms what your research is about
To understand data either using physics or using artificial intelligence/machine learning and robust statistics. As Structural Dynamicist I focus on revealing and characterising the behaviour of a physical structure which is subjected to a force. Dynamic loads include a plethora of daily life things like wind, waves, people, traffic, earthquakes, and blasts. It is essential for any vibration analysis for example and spans from aircrafts, offshore wind turbines and automotive industry to nuclear power plants and bridges.
3. If you didn't have to sleep, what would you do with the extra time?
Taste wine all day everyday :)
4. What job would you be terrible at?
My brother's job, a fisherman. The most difficult and challenging job.
5. What's the last book you've read?
Attack on Titan latest issue. It is a Manga.
6. What could you give a 30-minute presentation on, with absolutely no preparation?
Food and wine.
7. Where is the most interesting place you've been?
Hands down, Greece. And yes, I am biased.
8. What's the best concert you've attended?
Hmm, I am not a big concert fun. But I can tell you my favourite movie ever, it is between Full Metal Jacket and Blade Runner.
9. What do you have in your pockets right now?
10. Who would you like to swap places with for a day?
A farmer somewhere in France, Italy or Greece (for more than a day probably).